Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Football Is No Longer Fun

Well, BYU football is officially no longer fun for me.

In the past I've had fun, but I can't anymore. I've become too emotionally involved, and I need help. Let me tell you my sorrows........

In the Northern Iowa game the 3rd quarter caused me enough stress to make the game not enjoyable. Sure we won 41-17, but I left so concerned about a few things that I couldn't enjoy it. I went home frustrated and confused but eventually attributed it to first game kinks.

Then there's this week against UW. This one was even more difficult for me.

So my grandma invited me up to Bear Lake to accompany her on a family research trip. I figured I'd be a good grandson and go, but told her only upon the condition that I could watch the game. Since her condo didn't have the channel, I called all the restaurants around Bear Lake before I left and finally found one in Montpelier, Idaho (most notable for having its bank robbed by Butch Cassidy - who was raised Mormon by the way) that said they had the channel.

However, on the morning of the game, while walking through the parking lot, I ran into a guy wearing a BYU hat. After my standard greeting of "Go Cougs," we got to talking. I asked him if he was going to watch the game, and if so, where. He told me some long story about how he'd spent 2 hours the night before convincing the owner of their condo to add the right sports package so they could watch the game. And then he said "So we're in 253, come on over."

"Really?" I asked.

"You betcha," he said.

I was ecstatic. I was elated. I was overjoyed. I didn't have to drive 40 minutes to Montpelier and I was going to get to watch it with other Cougar fans. My day had just gotten much better. I wrote the condo number down on my hand and skipped and whistled to my car.

So at 12:55 I showed up at 253 and knocked on the door. No answer. 252. No answer. 251, 250, 254, 263, 153, 123..........no answer. By this time I was FREAKING out. I wandered around the condos looking in people's back windows trying to find these guys but had no luck. Stupid, moronic, flaky, Level 1 fan. I was so mad.

I am not kidding and am not ashamed to say that I was nearly in tears at this point. I didn't know what to do.

Finally, at around 1:30 I decided to cut my losses and drive to Montpelier. I averaged around 95 MPH and got there in 25 minutes. I finally found the right place, the Montpelier Grill, and rushed inside. Luckily the waitress was accommodating and just gave me the remote to the tv and said, "Have at it." There were about 4 minutes left in the first half when I got there.

I ordered some food so the waitress would leave me alone and then got focused on the game. My stress level did not go down at all once I could actually watch. We were inconsistent and I couldn't take it. I was jumping out of my seat and yelling at the tv while the waitress and cook stared at me (there was no one else in the entire place the whole second half).

When Unga went into the endzone I jumped up in exaltation. Only to dive back into my booth when I realized he'd fumbled.

I stood 4 feet in front of the tv the entire final drive.

When everything was all said and done, I felt like I'd just gotten a D on a long test. Stressed, tired, happy that I didn't fail, but not really satisfied with how I did.


On my drive home I had some time to reflect and it was then that I realized that I hadn't had any fun that entire game. I was too nervous to enjoy it. I've decided I need blowouts to really enjoy myself.

So what do I do? But before you answer, just know that I'm not willing to care any less.

Help me out readers.....my mental health and my wife will both thank you.

And luckily on Saturday, I was able to blow off some steam by going out after the game and doing some jet skiing with my grandma. But grandma and the jet ski won't be there every week.

7 comments:

The Winns said...

I hear perscription drugs work wonders. My only other suggestion is to "chill out" it's only a game.

Droid said...

Gma is by far the coolest grandma ever. I haven't heard of any other gma going jet skiing with grandkids or collecting bball cards just because her grandkids do.

The Smith Family said...

Oh I love Gma Illa! She's such a cutie! Well, the mom in me is telling you that you need to take a time out during the game when you are getting the most upset. Lesley will be in charge of distributing the time outs! :)

bajork12 said...

I hope you were able to enjoy the game yesterday vs. UCLA.

Just reading this post kind of stressed me out, too.

bajork12 said...

Wow. What a post. Your honesty and openess about your feelings is refreshing.

However, I view this as a call to action on my part and all the other fans who are "too busy unpacking boxes" to better support the Cougs.

As far as your enjoyment level... I don't know that will ever change. You have reached a level of dedication few fans achieve. At that level you will always struggle to enjoy each moment of the game because as BYU continues to win the stress will increase because there is so much riding on each successive victory as they climb in the polls.

Take solace in knowing you will have the "enjoyment" of each of these victories to warm your heart during the long cold winter months of Jan/Feb in Draper. A modern day Dandelion Wine if you will.

Co Cougs!

Steve

JasPam said...

I was nearly moved to tears, and then I came to my senses....Get over it.

Brianne said...

Trevor, I'm sorry, that story sucks. But I do have to say that is the most adorable picture ever with you and your grandma on a jet ski.